Facts and Figures
In the year 1910 Kaspar Winkler laid the foundations for the present-day Sika Group in Zurich. At that time he had developed a pioneering chemical process to accelerate the setting and hardening of cement, mortar and concrete. His first product, Sika -1, a watersealing mortar additive, remains widely used to this day.
Sika is a global company with 124 production and marketing subsidiaries in 80 countries. We are a globally integrated company supplying specialty chemicals and application knowledge. Sika is a company with a strong innovative tradition, constantly striving for new levels of excellence. This means developing innovative products and solutions that will open up new opportunities for the company, its employees, and its partners in construction, trade and industry.
Leader in processing material
Sika is a leader in processing materials used in sealing, bonding, damping, reinforcing and protecting load-bearing structures. Sika’s product range features high-quality concrete admixtures, specialty mortars, sealants and adhesives, damping and reinforcing materials, structural strengthening systems, industrial flooring as well as roofing and waterproofing systems. Total solutions from Sika replace older technologies such as bolting, riveting and welding, opening unforeseen innovation possibilities for customers. Our objective is to help customers generate added value and always stay one step ahead of the competition.
Sika’s global presence – a strategic success factor
- Worldwide local presence in 80 countries
- Over 124 Sika production and marketing companies
- 15 233 employees (2012)
- Total sales: CHF 4 829 million.
- Net profit: CHF 281.1 million.
- Besides the umbrella brand Sika has some 685 Sika product trademarks, such as Sikaflex®, Sika® ViscoCrete®, SikaBond® or SikaForce®
- 9 477 trademark registrations in 160 countries
- 30.1% (2012) of net sales is generated with products launched within the last five years
- Expenditures on research and development for the Group amounted to CHF 172.9 million (3.6% of sales). Central expenditure totaled CHF 86.1 million.
- In 2012, Sika filed for 73 patents and made 85 invention disclosures.