The network of the Global Nature Fund, now with more than 55 partner organizations from 45 lake regions, advocates sustainable development and protection of potable water, lakes and wetlands. Living Lakes is coordinated by GNF, a non-profit foundation, headquartered in Radolfzell on Lake Constance in Germany. Since 1998 the network has been promoting dialogs between representatives of private and public interests involved in protecting water. Their shared interest allows for valuable exchanges of know-how, technologies and experiences among NGOs and businesses.
Objectives of Living Lakes
- Conserving the biodiversity and the preservation of fresh water resources, lakes and wetland ecosystems
- Improving the quality of life for local communities.
- Promoting the use of applied sciences and technologies towards the conservation of these ecosystems.
- Supporting educational programmes and cooperation with local communities towards the conservation of the biodiversity of these ecosystems.
- Disseminating information relevant to these ecosystems.