Sika’s acquisition strategy in recent years has focused on the worldwide growth of its mortar business. With sales up by 12.9% in 2015 and 85 production plants across the globe, the mortar segment is one of Sika’s biggest growth areas and, at the same time, a key factor in its Strategy 2018. In 2015 alone, Sika opened five new mortar plants, at a total of nine new production sites. And three of the five enterprises acquired also operate in this segment: Duro-Moza, Mozambique, BMI Products of Northern California Inc., USA and Construction Technologies Australia Pty Ltd , Australia
- 9 out of the 17 companies acquired since 2012 manufacture mortar products.
- 22 new mortar plants have been opened since 2012.
- Annual sales growth per year has averaged 15% since 2012.
- More than 20% of sales in Sika’s construction segment is generated by mortar products.
- Sika’s core technology mortar, generates high, above-average profitability.
Sika’s production facility in Philadelphia is one of five mortar plants that Sika brought on stream in 2015. It is the second new mortar plant to open in the USA in the last two years.