Total water withdrawal by source
Water is used as cooling water, cleaning water, in products, and for general purposes, such as in sanitary facilities. Sika uses around 3.6 million m³ (previous year: 2.1 million m³) both from public supply (47%) and groundwater wells (53%). In water-rich areas, like Switzerland, the UK, and Eastern USA, cooling water is mainly obtained from groundwater wells in line with local permits. Cooling and process water accounts for 58% of Sika’s water use. The increase in water consumption is due to the acquired Parex company.
Water consumption per ton sold was around 0.34 cubic meters (previous year: 0.39 cubic meters). This decrease was mainly due to the lower-water-intensity acquisitions processed in 2018 and 2019, which were considered in 2019. Sika aims to boost the sustainability performance of its production sites by reducing water consumption and treating water locally. The company implements measures to reduce consumption, or to reuse water, particularly in geographic regions where water is scarce. Efficient production means closed-loop cooling, and switching from public to surface water and groundwater, thereby reducing the amount of drinking water used in production. By reusing wastewater, Sika aims to reduce its water consumption on a larger scale.
The company strives to increase water efficiency and has set itself the target of reducing water consumption by 3% per ton of product sold and year.
((Graphic Water (m3) / ton sold))
- Surface water: 82,000 m³ (previous year: 33,000 m³)
- Ground water: 1,835,000 m³ (previous year: 1,050,000 m³)
- Public supply: 1,692,000 m³ (previous year: 1,524,000 m³)
- Rain water: A few factories have started to use rain water to cover part of their freshwater demand, specifically when public water supply is limited.
- There are no detailed data available.
- Reused water: In many companies, water from rinsing and cleaning is reused. Some factories run own waste water-cleaning facilities, e.g. through sedimentation, distillation, or filtration, and reuse filtrate or distillate for production or cleaning.
Sika uses water for the following purposes:
- Process and cooling water: 2,065,000 m³ (previous year: 825,000 m³)
- Sanitary water: 620,000 m³ (previous year: 492,000 m³
- Water in products: 891,000 m³ (previous year: 800,000 m³)
In some Sika sites ground water cooling capacity is used for secondary cooling cycles without removing water from the ground. This requires state permits, and the corresponding fees are accounted for as purchased cooling energy.