Disclosure 103-1: Explanation of the material topic and its Boundary
As a socially responsible company, Sika supports local communities. The “Sika Cares” community engagement program focuses on improving the quality of life of children, adults and families in the communities in which the company is active. The program aims to support local third parties in order to help people to help themselves. With this program, Sika companies ensure that local community members have access to valued social settings and activities, that Sika staff can contribute meaningfully to those activities, and that functional capabilities are provided to enable individuals to participate in those communities. To achieve this goal, cooperation with and support for existing, professional charity organizations should be given priority.
Areas which Sika aims to support:
- Sustainable construction and infrastructure
- Training of people working in construction and education of children
- Climate- and water-related projects
Disclosure 103-2: The management approach and its components
Sika's management approach aims at enhancing the positive impacts Sika has on local communities. The management approach for local communities includes the following components:
Sika is committed to building trust and creating value with its customers, communities, and society. Local Sika companies are required to put forward specific aid applications and, together with local partners, to supervise the projects on site until completion.
GOALS AND TARGETS
The revision and further development of the 2014–2018 Sustainability Strategy was the priority in 2019. The former “Local Communities” target area is now summarized under “Community Engagement”. It encompasses targets relating to the quantity of projects, days of volunteering activities and number of beneficiaries. The sustainability-related performance for 2019 will be the baseline for the Sustainability Strategy 2023.
The corporate team is responsible for setting up the Community Engagement scheme and for monitoring and evaluating its implementation. The regional and local line management is responsible for implementing the scheme locally.
Sika has developed community engagement guidelines on how to plan, select, run and monitor projects in the domain of community engagement.
Disclosure 103-3: Evaluation of the management approach
Sika evaluates its management approach:
- Internal auditors visit up to 20 Sika subsidiaries per year. During the visit, the effectiveness of activities directed towards local communities is checked.
- Defined processes for monitoring, reviewing, and evaluating:
-- Regions: Information on current and planned projects to Corporate Communications twice a year.
-- Corporate Communications/ Corporate Sustainability: Documentation and summary of community engagement activities annually (2nd quarter of each calendar year to the CEO). This documentation is distributed to all countries (“best cases”).
Procedure for proposing support for a specific project:
- General Managers of Sika subsidiaries submit a request for a project in their country with a project description, including cost/resources, impact and duration (see also appendix), to the Regional / Area Manager
- Project evaluation by Corporate Communications and Sustainability in cooperation with the Regional / Area manager
- Project approval by the CEO
Sika monitors and evaluates the effectiveness of its management approach according to target achievement. The General Manager of each Sika subsidiary must report annually on the quantity and quality of projects supported in the corresponding fiscal year.