With regard to GRI reporting, the data of all acquired companies in 2020 are included in this report.
In 2020, Sika concluded the takeover of Adeplast SA. The transaction was first announced at the end of November 2019. Adeplast is a leading manufacturer of mortars and thermal insulation solutions in Romania. The acquisition significantly strengthens Sika’s position in the local construction chemicals market, and extends its manufacturing capacity. Adeplast generates annual sales of approximately CHF 120 million with a workforce of 460 employees.
In June 2020 Sika acquired Modern Waterproofing Group, a leading manufacturer of bituminous roofing and waterproofing systems in Egypt. The acquisition supplements and rounds off the product portfolio of Sika Egypt and offers new opportunities for growth in the Egyptian construction market.
In the year under review, Sika opened the following plants:
- Admixtures, mortar, and acrylic plant in Colombia, Barranquilla, January 2020
- Expansion of structural waterproofing membrane plant in Switzerland, Sarnen, March 2020
- Mortar plant in China, Chengdu, October 2020
- Expansion of concrete admixtures and epoxy resins plant in the UAE, Dubai, November 2020
- Investment in polyurethane tech. production facilities in Switzerland, Düdingen, December 2020
Furthermore, Sika has expanded its cooperation with CiDRA Concrete Systems Inc., headquartered in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, and has completed a growth equity investment agreement to supplement its existing global relationship. CiDRA specializes in IoT-based digital systems to monitor concrete properties during transport.