In January 2018, Sika acquired a majority stake in Index Construction Systems and Products, a leading manufacturer of roofing and waterproofing systems headquartered close to Verona, Italy. By acquiring Index, Sika will extend its product range and significantly strengthen its position in the Italian market.
In July 2018, Sika acquired Polypag, a leading Swiss-based manufacturer and developer of polyurethane foam systems. This acquisition enhances Sika’s expertise in the area of polyurethane foam development, expand its product portfolio and production capacity, and drive forward the specialist trade business.
In November 2018, Sika acquired the global Concrete Fibers business from Propex Holding, LLC, which includes a US plant manufacturing synthetic fibers for use in concrete reinforcement, sales operations in Sika’s three geographical regions, and a strong brand. The acquired business is a perfect addition to Sika’s concrete systems for high value-added solutions required in the construction of high-rise buildings and demanding infrastructure projects.
Regarding GRI reporting the 2018 acquired companies Index, Polypag and Propex Holding are not yet included in the 2018 figures.
In 2018, the following Sika production facilities were opened
- New mortar plant Vietnam (Hanoi, March 2018)
- 1st admixture plant Senegal (Dakar, April 2018)
- New admixture factory Saudi Arabia (Dammam, June 2018)
- New admixture and mortar plant Azerbaijan (Baku, July 2018)
- Mortar and admixture factory United Arab Emirates (Dubai, August 2018)
- Automotive plant Mexico (Querétaro, September 2018)
- 2 new admixture plants Kazakhstan (Almaty and Astana, October 2018)
- New admixture plant Russia (Yekaterinburg, October 2018)
- Admixture, mortar and liquid applied membrane (Lima, November 2018)
In the year under review, Sika opened a new subsidiary in Honduras (February 2018). The company is now present in 105 countries with own national subsidiaries.