Waste reduction starts with durable products that stand the test of time. Sika membranes for example continue to perform after decades of use in a wide range of climates. When a roof must be replaced, the Sika post-consumer recycling program recycles millions of square feet of used membrane yearly, reducing the burden on landfills. Sika also reduces waste at every step of the product life cycle, converting more than 98% of vinyl raw materials from manufacturing and installation into new roofing and waterproofing membranes.
Reducing waste at every step of the product life cycle
- Recycling of production waste: Sika has been recycling production waste and roll edge trimmings since the 1960’s.
- Recycling of post-consumer waste (end-of-life): Sika was a pioneer in the development of recycling for used roofing membranes and actively participates in the end-of-life recycling program
- ROOFCOLLECT, the European collection and recycling initiative for roofing and other waterproofing membranes.
- In the USA, Sika has successfully introduced a recycling program for commercial roofing membranes. Innovative products made from recycled materials: production waste and post-consumer membranes are recycled into new products, such as protection sheets and walkway pads.
Why recycle your roof?
- Reduce your carbon footprint
- Reduce waste and save money
- Earn credits towards LEED Certification
- Competitive advantage when bidding jobs with environmentally conscious customers
- Reduce shipping costs and no landfill tipping fees
- Participation in a meaningful program with a positive impact on the environment