Project Description

Saint Joseph's church is an important landmark in Le Havre; it was originally designed by the famous architect Auguste Perret, as part of the rebuilding of the City Centre after the Second World War. The church was completed in 1957, and has four major reinforced concrete columns, that support an impressive 107 metre high tower which was completely decorated with coloured glass by Margueritte Hure. Unfortunately the concrete surfaces had become stained, cracked and started to spall.

Project Requirements

In 2003 the City Council applied to UNESCO for support in preserving the historical city centre, much of which had also been rebuilt by Perret, and including the refurbishment of this Church. In conjunction with the LRHM (Historical Monument Research Laboratory), a detailed specification for a durable repair and protection strategy was produced for the structure; that also allowed it to be restored to its original appearance.

Sika Solutions

After the necessary preparation work, a complete Sika Repair and Protection System was applied; consisting of Sika® MonoTop® anti corrosion primer, SikaTop® and SikaLatex® modified repair mortars, Sika® FerroGard® corrosion inhibitor with Sikagard® hydrophobic impregnations.

Sika Products

In addition the following Sika products were used in the project

  • Sika® MonoTop®
  • SikaTop®
  • SikaLatex®
  • Sika® FerroGard®
  • Sikagard®