As the use of electric vehicles (EVs) becomes more widespread, it's important to consider the impact they may have on parking structures. One key concern is the added weight of EVs, which can put additional stress on the structure of the car park. To ensure the safety of these facilities, it is critical to assess and strengthen parking garages to accommodate future needs.
Is Your Car Park Structure Strong Enough for EV Cars?
Electric vehicles are roughly 33% heavier than their gasoline counterparts, which has a significant impact on safety for all car parking garage users. As the adoption of electric vehicles continues to increase, car park owners need to act now to avoid endangering pedestrians or causing a catastrophic collapse.
How old is your car park?
How well has it been maintained?
Many existing multi-story car parks were built in the 1960s and 1970s from reinforced concrete. These structures face early degradation, structural defects and other shortcomings. Car park owners need to take steps to access the structure and ensure their property continues to be fit for purpose.
Get Special Insights Today
Complete the form to get the specialist report.
Our new specialist report explores the issues ahead and the solutions which will future-proof these structures to support greener, longer-lasting infrastructure.
So how do car park owners, designers and builders address these challenges?
Find out more in the new specialist report. Download your copy and get informed today.
Specialist Report Brief
Foreword by Russell Simmons of Stripe Consulting and Chair of British Parking Association (BPA) Structures Interest Group, an independent industry expert
Car parks in the modern world: State of car park sector
Weighing up the issue: Structural loads in multi-story car parks
The rise of electric vehicles: Facts and figures
What can be done?
- Indicators of structural deterioration
- Reinstate lost strength
- Protect against future deterioration
- Prevent ingress
- Corrosion control
- Increase strength of beams, columns and slabs
Sika: Your Single Source of Solutions
Sika has been transforming car parking garages and car park environments for over 40 years worldwide.
Did you know that we offer a single source of solutions, including:
- Deck waterproofing systems, for external and internal desk surfaces, and ramps
- Overlay systems for existing asphalt decks
- Sealing solutions, for high to low movement expansion joints
- Anti-carbonation coatings
- Joint sealing for facades and precast concrete
- Concrete repair and corrosion protection
- Specialist rapid strength-gain materials to ensure quick return to service
- Floor and wall coatings for entrance areas, walkways and stairwells
- Anti-graffiti coatings
- Basement and below-grade waterproofing solutions
You May Also Be Interested In
Contact a Sika expert near you for technical support and locally available products and systems.
Contact Sika's global representative in case you need our support in an international project.